I had been impressed by the architectural work of Georgina when I visited a colleges rooms and day surgery. In Feb 2014 I engaged Georgina to review our consulting rooms and day surgery. I found she had an extensive knowledge of ambulatory day surgery requirements and was very efficient.
Dr Robyn Armstrong
RENOVATION SECRETS : TOP 5 WAYS TO AVOID MAKING ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR
Be polite, positive and proactive.
Don’t be too greedy with your proposals. Ideally your aim should be to improve the amenity and value of your own property and the community. Big isn’t necessarily better.
Show your neighbours drawings before submitting them to council.
Architectural drawings tend to be more simple, more ambiguous (and less threatening) at this stage. This is a good chance to listen to your neighbours concerns and hopefully allay them before any misunderstandings or resentments take root.
Put up a fence at the beginning of the job (and don’t take it down until the work is 100 per cent complete)
Of all the things that’s guaranteed to needle your neighbours most during the renovation process is the messiness of it all. The dust and the debris of the building process is the single biggest element that will stretch friendships in your street.
The other reason for building a fence is that seeing the messiness – even if it doesn’t have a direct impact on your neighbours property, it can have a negative psychological impact. What they don’t see won’t concern them *
Dilapidation reports are your best insurance.
If you live in close proximity to others, a dilapidation report ensures you have a “before” record of the state of neighbouring premises (inside and out). If you don’t have a report, you may find your building works being blamed for every old crack that already existed in an adjoining building.
Work things out between yourselves.
Once things are reported to council, you can guarantee that other consultants will be called in to mediate and confer and things can get costly (and nasty).
* Early in my career I designed a terrace house renovation and made the mistake of taking down the fence that was screening the building works too early. Once the fence came down the neighbours had a full view of the services that were going in on the roof – fireplace flue, rangehood exhaust, airconditioning. After living next door to a long, drawn out project the neighbours were cranky. And now, given an unobstructed view to all this stuff that was being installed right near their boundary, they took pictures and sent them straight to council. This led to a a certifier being called in and a complaint had to be assessed by health and safety auditors. Ultimately it was confirmed that the services were allowable but not before everyone had wasted a lot of time and money. The lesson? If the fence had stayed up and the relationship with the neighbour had been more positive it probably wouldn’t have happened.
- Kepos StreetJune 2019 - 10:51 am
- Mary Street HouseJune 2019 - 10:48 am
- Conway AveMay 2019 - 1:11 pm
- Windsor Street TerraceDecember 2016 - 2:51 pm
- Paspalis Business CentreMarch 2016 - 11:23 am
- Focus Eye Centre – Laser SuiteDecember 2014 - 4:55 pm
- Focus Eye Centre – KingsfordJune 2014 - 2:41 am
- Wilson Street Beach HouseMarch 2014 - 12:18 pm
- Oatley Road ResidenceOctober 2012 - 5:11 am
- Focus Eye Centre – Double BayOctober 2012 - 2:45 am
- Managing Project Costs & Setting a BudgetAugust 2013 - 2:01 am
- GATHER: We assemble and analyse the site and project informationJuly 2013 - 3:20 am
- COMPLY: We prepare appropriate applications for Planning Authority approvalsApril 2013 - 3:23 am
- DESIGN: We develop and document the approved concept design for Tender and ConstructionMarch 2013 - 3:24 am
- BUILD: The building is constructedFebruary 2013 - 3:26 am
- MAINTAIN: We address any functional / maintenance issues ensuring the design integrity of the buildingJanuary 2013 - 3:29 am
Recent Blog Posts
- Plastic Free JulyJuly 2019 - 11:00 am
- Why You Should Hire An Architect To Re-design Your HomeJuly 2019 - 8:00 am
- Park Parade HouseJune 2019 - 11:53 am
- Refresh Your Home: Modern Day Interior DesignApril 2019 - 10:43 am
- Belle Feature Article – Windsor Street TerraceOctober 2017 - 3:06 pm
- FROM THE BUILDING SITEJanuary 2016 - 6:07 pm
- INJALAK COMMISSIONED ARTWORKJanuary 2016 - 10:29 am
- FROM THE BUILDING SITENovember 2015 - 5:16 pm
- FROM THE BUILDING SITENovember 2015 - 10:20 am
Recent Awards & Media
- FROM THE BUILDING SITEJanuary 2016 - 6:07 pm
- SURGICAL PARTNERS AT HOBART CONFERENCE FOR PRACTICE MANAGERS – AAPM & PMAANZ 2015October 2015 - 4:02 pm
- Workflowmax Webinar – How to Demonstrate Your Value to Clients by Streamlining Your Architectural PracticeJuly 2015 - 10:57 am
- 2013 MBA Excellence in Construction AwardNovember 2013 - 6:05 am