PROJECT TYPE: Alterations and additions to a terrace house
BUILDER: Eden Constructions
PHOTOS: Noel Mclaughlin
With children entering their teen years, this couple was ready to lose the play areas and create a grown-up sanctuary with a focus on music, art and indoor-outdoor entertaining. The renovation focused on the rear-ground level of the terrace, transforming it from a tight, dark and awkward space into an open-plan oasis full of year-round natural light.
- It was important that the dining space embrace the outdoors, harness sunlight throughout the seasons and have an attractive, low-maintenance garden.
- Creating a natural, social space around the grand piano was a priority, as well as creating comfortable nooks where the family can listen to music or curl up with books.
- Lovers of art, the couple needed large areas of clear wall space to showcase paintings they have collected during their travels.
- A luxuriously high ceiling was achieved by moving steelworks into the roof structure – which also created space for more windows.
- Natural light and ventilation was boosted in the centre of the house by adding an internal courtyard.