Mary Street House
PROJECT TYPE: Alterations and additions
COMPLETION DATE: March 2018
BUILDER: AKD Building
PHOTOS: Noel Mclaughlin
STYLIST: Kerrie- Ann Jones
AREA: 160 sqm
This beautiful cottage is sympathetically renovated with a homage to the quintessential 1950s quarter acre block. The interior boasts an open, airy and light-filled setting for the clients unique, catchy and fun-loving sense of style.
- Projected with a modest budget, this projects’ primary aim was to expand the living zones of the house, with essentials around the need to retain its original character in a subtle and classic design.
- Primary principal was to create a feeling of generosity of space with minimum intervention. To retain the original character of the 1950s styled house, with additions to be companionate to the existing form.
- The plan provides more communal living for the close family and provides a direct connection to the rear outdoor reusable space.
- The new addition sits modestly behind the existing house which has been refreshed and revived. The front elevation is a beautiful overlapping of white on white textures in front of a vibrant green landscape.
- The value of the house is in the floorplan and layout with the overall design being deliberately restrained and character of house emphasised by the quirky, fun loving and easy-going occupants.
- This Project was hugely successful due to the collaboration with the builder, who had previously worked with the client and had a great relationship already built.