Harbour View Renovation
PROJECT TYPE: Alterations and additions
COMPLETION DATE: July 2020
BUILDER: Mike Smit Constructions
PHOTOS: Murray Fredericks
STYLIST: Claire Delmar
The owners wanted to create a relaxed, open-plan oasis where they could both entertain and escape – but with three school-aged sons practicality was also a priority. The house needed a welcoming entrance, as the original one was awkward, messy and featured a series of nonsensical ramps. Upon completion this home was featured in Belle.
- The entrance was reoriented and a vestibule with elegant storage cabinets was added to hide the clutter of shoes and bags.
- To create areas where the family could both entertain and escape, the architects created a series of terraces and rooms. This resort-like configuration means teenagers can throw a pool party while Mum reads a book and Dad has a beer with a friend, all within their own spaces.
- Frameless glass pool fencing was added to make the most of the harbour aspect.
- Originally a small series of rooms set back from the view, now the open-plan living, kitchen and dining area is one big bright space that brings the outdoors in.
- An additional storey was added to accommodate the master bedroom, which features a frameless corner window for uninterrupted views.