Wilson Street Beach House
PROJECT TYPE: Alterations and additions
COMPLETION DATE: March 2014
AREA: 201 m2
With a fantastic location on Maroubra’s headland, the challenge in renovating this 1920s semi-detached dwelling was to achieve space, sun and views, whilst retaining a sense of privacy and tranquility. In simple ways, we were able to make the whole house feel fresh and new.
- The stair to the basement level was relocated to a more convenient internal location, saving space on both the upper and lower levels. This resulted in an easily accessible basement, liberating this area as a space to be used as a second living space, bathroom and sizeable storage area
- The roofline of the rear living/dining and kitchen areas was raised to create lofty 3.2metre ceilings, which created a vastly improved feeling of space, light and delight
- We introduced window boxes along the northern side of the living, dining and kitchen spaces – which served to widen the typically ‘carriage-like’ spaces at the rear of the semi. The rear living, dining and kitchen spaces are now flooded with northern light and natural ventilation
- Further space was liberated by transforming the existing front room into a study/guest room, complete with fold-down bed for guests
- The master suite was re-vamped with a new master ensuite, including double shower and sauna facilities. Purpose-made wardrobe joinery streamlined the master bedroom to become a restful retreat
- The kitchen was remodelled with fresh and streamlined new cupboards, appliances, counters and an enormous separate pantry
- The existing combined bathroom/laundry was refurbished into generous distinct facilities.
- Electrical, data, AC and sound was rewired throughout to bring the home up to current capacity
- The exterior of the semi, along with its immediate neighbour, were freshly painted and given an external boost, resulting in a complete transformation